If you are looking to straighten your smile, consider using at-home treatment options. By taking this approach you can achieve the desired outcome in a discreet and cost efficient manner.
This is due to the fact that you get to follow the treatment plan from the comfort of your home without having to make any in-office visits to a dentist or orthodontist.
If you decide to take this route, you will need to choose the best treatment option; SmileDirect and Byte are two of the best brands on the market. While they both offer at-home teeth straightening treatment plans, they use different processes to help you achieve the desired outcome.
Choosing between the two might be challenging given their similarities; however, you can use the information below to make an informed final decision that matches your specific needs.
Head-to-Head Comparison of Features
Smile Direct Club Key Features
- Impressions: The first step in your teeth straightening journey starts with capturing the impressions of your teeth. Here, SmileDirect gives you two options. You can order an impression kit from them, for $49, and use it on your own at home; or simply visit one of their SmileShops and have your teeth scanned by a qualified technician for free!
- Professional Consultations: To guide you through the treatment process and ensure that you are on the right track, SmileDirect connects you with a dental professional from your area who will help you track your progress from the comfort of your home. SmileDirect has a team of certified and licensed doctors, dentists and orthodontists drawn from all 50 states ready advice and to assist their customers through the treatment process.
- 2 Different Treatment Plans: Smile Direct Club offers two different teeth straightening treatment plans to their clients. Their Clear Aligners are designed to be worn all day, for more than 22 hours per day; and are expected to deliver the desired results in 4 to 6 months. Their Night-Time Clear Aligners on the other hand are designed to be worn only at night, for 10 consecutive hours each night, extending treatment time to around 10 months.
- Aligners: SmileDirect uses straight cut aligners which are considered to be more effective at moving teeth by using the gum for added support. These aligners also have a frosted appearance that resembles the natural matte appearance of your teeth, making them less conspicuous.
- MoveMints: To ensure that your SmileDirect aligners are properly settled on your teeth –for faster and more accurate movements – remember to chew on the Movemints that are included in their teeth alignment kit. These spearmint flavored chewies also help keep your breath fresh!
- Teeth Whitening: With SmileDirect Club, you can straighten your teeth and whiten them at the same time using the free Bright On teeth whitening pens included in their teeth alignment kit.
- 30-Day Refund Policy: If you change your mind and decide to discontinue treatment within the first 30 days, SmileDirect will offer you a full refund. On the other hand, if after completing treatment you are not satisfied with the results, SmileDirect will provide you with additional consultations and aligners until the desired results are achieved.
Byte Key Features
- Impressions: With Byte, creating impressions of your teeth can only be done remotely; using their $95 impressions kit, available online.
- Byte Advisors: Each Byte client is assigned their own personal Byte advisor, with whom they can connect every time they log into their Byte account and discuss matters relating to their treatment plan and progress. Byte’s team of advisors is made up of 200 board certified orthodontists and dentists licensed to practice in all 50 states.
- Treatment Plans: Just like SmileDirect, Byte also offers two different treatment plans. Their All-day plan, in which aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours each day, promises to help you achieve the expected results in 3 to 4 months. Their Night-time only plan on the other hand, in which aligners must be worn for 10 straight hours each night, promises to produce the expected results in 5 to 6 months.
- Aligners: Another similarity between both brands is the use of straight cut aligners. However, Byte’s aligners have a shiny finish that gives wearer’s a more noticeable gleaming smile!
- HyperByte: One of the biggest selling points when it comes to Byte is the reduced treatment times; and it’s all thanks to HyperByte! This medical device is included in your Byte teeth alignment kit. HyperByte can cut the treatment time by half by simply using tiny vibrations to move misaligned teeth. This device also helps eliminate any discomfort associated with the wearing of Byte aligners.
- Teeth Whitening: With Byte you also get to whiten your teeth while also straightening them at the same time using their free teeth whitening products.
- Byte-For-Life Guarantee: To ensure that you enjoy your new straight smile for life, Byte offers to send you free aligners at any point, if your teeth ever become crooked again, once treatment is complete – after following all their treatment instructions.
Results Head-to-Head: How Long Does it Take Byte and Smile Direct to Work?
Both SmileDirect and Byte promise to straighten your teeth and give you a beautiful smile in just a few months.
According to SmileDirect, most clients can expect to have a straight smile in 4 to 6 months of treatment. If you choose their Clear Aligners treatment plan, you will be required to wear the aligners for at least 22 hours each day – the aligners can be removed when brushing teeth or eating.
However, if you opt for their Night-time treatment plan, you will be required to wear the aligners for 10 straight hours each night. Under this treatment plan, treatment time is increased to around 10 months.
Using their Movemint chewies on a regular basis will help enhance the effectiveness of the aligners, in addition to reducing treatment time.
With Byte, you can expect to see results within 2 to 4 months when using their All-day aligners- to be worn for 22 or more hours each day. If you opt for the Night-time plan – aligners to be worn for 10 straight hours each night during treatment – you can expect to see results in 5 to 6 months.
To support their claims on shorter treatment times, Byte says that their HyperByte technology helps users cut treatment times by half.
Price Comparison: Is Byte or Smile Direct Club More Affordable?
Both Byte and SmileDirect Club have a similar pricing plan.
SmileDirect offers their treatment for a $1,950 onetime payment. You will also have to for out an extra $49 for an impressions kit. Fortunately, you can avoid the cost of ordering an impressions kit by having your teeth scanned at one of their SmileShops. After completing your treatment, you will also need to pay $99 for retainers.
One the other hand, a $1,895 onetime payment is placed on Byte’s All-day treatment plan. Their Night-time treatment plan, priced at $2,295 will cost you a little bit more. Byte also charges $95 for their impressions kit. On the up side, you won’t have to pay extra for retainers with Byte as they are included in the initial price.
At this point, it is clear to see that both options – apart from Byte’s Night-time treatment – cost, more or less, the same.
It is also worth mentioning that both SmileDirect and Byte offer similar financing options with 100 percent approval for all customers. You don’t have to worry about your credit score.
SmileDirect and Byte are two of the most popular at-home teeth straightening options available out there. While both options promise to help users achieve their desired results in a matter of months, they follow different routes to achieve this outcome.
If you want to straighten your teeth using highly innovative process, from the comfort of your home, then Byte is your best option.
However, if you would rather lean on the experience and reputation of a more established brand, then SmileDirectClub might be your best fit.